The 2019 Sydney Design Festival will take place from March 1-10. The Festival provides visitors with an opportunity to unpack design in all its forms – to understand and explore the processes, functions and narratives within design enterprise and to be inspired by the exhibitions and people involved in creating our futures.
The festival aims to:
- To make design accessible and engaging to new audiences
- Showcase work of designers, both emerging and established
- To tackle design challenges and the future of design
- To be inclusive, representative and cross-disciplinary
2019 FESTIVAL THEME: ACCESSING DESIGN
ACCESSING DESIGN seeks to promote responsive design that gives voice to diverse Sydney communities, and asks designers to broaden the definition of design and expand the dialogue between creative practice, access and inclusivity.
With an emphasis on the democratisation of design, the Sydney Design Festival is seeking a broad representation and involvement from both established and emerging design practitioners and interdisciplinary creative practices.
ACCESSING DESIGN asks the design community to question and contemplate their creative practice:
- Who are they designing for and how can audiences access this?
- What is the role of design in creating a more accessible world? How can we all be more open and inclusive with our approach to design?
The 2019 festival will champion process and experimentation, exploring the in-between and cross-disciplinary nature of design through the following fields: Applied Arts, Architecture, Communication Design, Data Visualisation, Digital Media, Education, Engineering design, Environmental, Experience Design, Fashion Design, Game Design, Graphic Design, Illustration, Industrial Design, Installation, Interiors, Landscape, Lighting, Motion Graphics, Product and Object Design, Research and Speculative design, Social Design, Sound design, Spatial Design, Systems Design, Theatre and Performance Design, Universal Design, User Experience, Web Design and more.